About Me

My photo
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Cake has been a part of my life for as far back as I can remember. My Mom was a cake decorator when I was younger and I discovered a few years ago that I had inerited her talent for it as well. I have not been satisfied with my jobs for a while now so I thought why not do something I love. Helping people celebrate the big moments of their lives. I can do cakes for all occasions. Let me be a part of your next celebration. Official website is secondgenerationcakedesign.com

Monday, December 17, 2012

Toy Cupcake Tutorial


Toy Cupcake Tutorial


I created these toy cupcakes for my niece. She is getting a Pinterest kitchen this year for Christmas so I put together a box of baking toys to outfit her new kitchen. I have seen something similar to these before made for ornaments for the tree and thought I could turn them into toy cupcakes as well. I was going to crochet them but ran out of time so this is what I came up with these instead. I am not sure how well they will hold up to playing but they are not  hard to make or at all expensive so whatever! They of course could be made for ornaments or decorations as well.



Ingredients
·         Dozen mini cupcake liners
·         Dozen small Styrofoam balls
·         Bottle of glitter glue
·         Glue gun & glue sticks
·         Dozen flat washers
·         Dozen pompoms
·         Mini cupcake tin









Step 1
Place a dot of glue in the bottom of the cupcake liner. Quickly place one washer in the glue. Apply another bit of glue on top of the washer and quickly place the Styrofoam ball in the glue. You don’t have to use a washer but I found without it the glitter glue icing made the cupcake fall over because it was so top heavy. The washer solved that problem and made the bottom more stable and I am hoping more durable.
 




Step 2
Apply glue around the “equator” of the Styrofoam ball where it will meet the cupcake liner. Quickly place in the cupcake tin, press against side and roll around until the sides all stick to the ball. You may have to squeeze more glue down into the liner in spots and then press firmly against the side until it holds.
  
 






Step 3
Squeeze the glitter glue on top of the Styrofoam balls to “ice” your cupcakes. You can cover the whole top if you prefer. Just like regular cupcakes let your decorating style and creativity take over. Gently press a pompom into the top of the glue. Let dry for at least 12 hours. Some glitter glue takes longer than others. 


 

After I had published this a friend of mine presented a brilliant idea. Since there are washers in the bottom of each liner I should glue a magnet to the bottom of each cup in the tray so they will stay in place when being "baked" or stored. Of course these have many choking hazards on them so be careful and are intended for kids who are past the eating toys stage. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment