About Me

My photo
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Cake has been a part of my life for as far back as I can remember. My Mom was a cake decorator when I was younger and I discovered a few years ago that I had inerited her talent for it as well. I have not been satisfied with my jobs for a while now so I thought why not do something I love. Helping people celebrate the big moments of their lives. I can do cakes for all occasions. Let me be a part of your next celebration. Official website is secondgenerationcakedesign.com

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Carrie's Chelsea Loaf

 I was in the mood to try something new last week. I was watching Anna Olson's Bake and she made Chelsea buns. They looked so good that I got up and made my own version based on the ingredients I had on hand. I am sure Anna's dough recipe is fantastic I have my own that I just love and have worked very hard to perfect. I also didn't have the dried fruit hers called for so I just used the cranberries and apricots I had in the cupboard. I used up all my butter in the filling but I did have coconut oil so I created a coconut oil glaze to top them off. I haven't had the original version but this glaze I believe took them over the top. They were so good I ate way too many that first day.

Chelsea Loaf/Buns

Dough

1 tbsp Dry active yeast
1 cups Warm Milk (I use 2%)
3oz cup Sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Cardamom
2 eggs
1lb 4 oz flour 
3 oz melted butter

1. In mixer bowl combine the yeast, milk and sugar. Let stand until it is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add salt and eggs and begin to mix on low with the dough hook. Reserve a few ounces of flour and mix in the remainder. Mix in the butter. 

2. Knead for a few minutes. Add more flour if needed to reach a firm enough dough to roll. Continue to knead until dough until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for half an hour. 

Filling & Assembly

3/4 cup Butter softened
3/4 cup Sugar
Orange zest
1/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice (I'm not entirely sure of this measurement as I used 2 tangerine sized oranges. I'm estimating it would be about this much. Pour in enough to give the orange flavor but not make it too runny)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup Dried Apricots (chopped)

1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the zest, juice and vanilla and mix until combined. 

2. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle, about 20x10. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the entire surface. Sprinkle the dried fruit evenly over the butter layer. Roll the dough from the longer side. Cut the dough in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise. Twist 2 pieces of dough together as tightly as possible, then repeat with the other two pieces of dough, then twist both of these pieces together. (don’t worry even some of the fruit falls out – you can sprinkle it overtop once in the pan). Place the twisted dough into a greased 10-x-5-inch loaf pan. Or you can turn into buns by cutting a dozen evenly sized rolls and placing them in a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Cover and let rest again for half an hour. 

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake buns for about 30 minutes and loaf for about 50 minutes. I do suggest placing a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet under the loaf as it will bubble over and leave a huge mess in your oven. I learned that one the hard way

Coconut Oil Glaze

3 Tbsp Water
1/3 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil

1. In a small saucepan heat all ingredients over med high heat until sugar dissolves. Brush over hot buns or loaf (yes I said hot buns) and let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. For loaf wait about 30 minutes before removing from pan. 

Yes there is a LOT of patience that is required to make these but they are WORTH the wait! Best if eaten the day you make them but you can still enjoy a day or two later by microwaving them for about 10-15 seconds to soften. 

Want fresh baked Chelsea buns in the morning? Prepare them but do not bake. Place in fridge over night and in the morning place in cold oven. Set oven to 350F and once oven reaches temperature set timer for the 30 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment